Oct. 9, 2021 South Charleston Game

Road-Weary Big Reds Fall To  Eagles

Game Statistics / Game Photos

SOUTH CHARLESTON – Big plays by the opposition continued to haunt the Parkersburg Big Reds here Saturday afternoon in a game rescheduled from Friday night as 8th ranked South Charleston posted a 38-21 victory.
With just a little over 12 hours of turn-around time from a game that was scheduled to be played Friday night but was re-set for 1 p.m. Saturday, the Big Reds found they could not contain the speed of the Black Eagles, who turned in eight plays of over 20 yards and rolled up 553 yards in total offense on just 56 plays (nearly 10 yards per play) to post their fifth win in six games.
The game was re-scheduled late Friday because of lightning delay and the kickoff for such a short span of time was because South Charleston had a homecoming dance scheduled for Saturday night and did not want to play on Monday because the Eagles have a game next Friday (PHS is open next Friday).
The 2-5 Big Reds started slowly, falling behind 21-0 in the first quarter but rallied to make the game close despite two lost fumbles and four dropped passes (one in the end zone).
PHS finished with 334 yards on 63 plays and got touchdowns from Xadrian Snodgrass, Bryson Singer and Jeffery Jones. Sophomore quarterback David Parsons threw for 246 yards (25 of 38) with five different receivers catching between three and nine passes. Logan Hartshorn caught nine passes for 86 yards while Singer and Casey Stanley caught five passes each, Snodgrass four and Andrew Stalnaker three.
South Charleston took the opening kickoff and drove 58 yards in eight plays to score on a 10-yard run by Mondrell Dean with 8:44 left in the first quarter. A 20-yard pass from Trey Dunn to Wayne Harris was the big play on the drive. Dunn finished with 20 completions in 27 attempts for 353 yards and two touchdowns with Harris catching eight for 94 yards.
The Big Reds fumbled the ball away on their second offensive play and it took the home team just two plays to find the end zone again. A 39 yard pass to Harris took the ball to the one yard line and from there Dunn took it in for the score to make it 14-0 after the PAT kick with 3:58 gone in the game.
PHS had a three-and-out on its second offensive possession and Stanley punted the ball to the Eagles’ four yard line but that didn’t stop South Charleston from putting together a 96-yard drive to make it 21-0 with 2:59 remaining in the first quarter. Dean scored from 40 yards away when he took the handoff, shook off a tackler at the line of scrimmage, stopped, changed directions and was virtually untouched the rest of the way.
The Big Red offense finally got untracked and put together an 11-play, 61 yard drive which saw Snodgrass take a shovel pass in the middle and went in to score with 10:31 on the second quarter clock. The scoring play came on a fourth-and-two play from the 15 yard line. Stanley’s kick made it 21-7.
A couple of dropped passes cut short Parkersburg’s next possession at the South Charleston 29 and the Eagles quickly turned things around with plays of 36, 13 and 22 yards for a touchdown on a pass from Dunn to Chris McCorkle which ran the score to 28-7.
PHS moved the ball to the South Charleston 24 on its next series but lost a fumble at that point with 2:08 left before halftime.
The Big Reds took the third quarter kickoff and drove 59 yards in 11 plays to make it 28-14 on Parsons’ pass in the right corner of the end zone to Singer for the touchdown with 8:33 on the clock.
A couple of bad breaks enabled South Charleston to halt the PHS momentum. First came a pass interference penalty call where the two plays collided on a ball that was well overthrown but wound up giving the Eagles a 15-yard first down and then a 45 yard touchdown pass to Tylik Tinsley on a badly thrown ball which was tipped by at least two different PHS defenders but landed in the hands of the Eagle receiver who ran into the end zone from 20 yards away.
The Big Reds closed the gap to 35-21 on a 64-yard drive that was highlighted by receptions of 17 and 12 yards to Hartshorn to take the ball to the one yard line. Senior tackle Jeffery Jones moved into the backfield to block but after one play he was handed the ball and scored the touchdown with 9:28 left in the game.
A 68-yard pass to a wide-open Dean in the middle of the field after coming out the backfield set up South Charleston’s final score, a 31 yard field goal with 8:27 left in the game.
PHS got the ball back and drove from its own 20 to the South Charleston eight but three straight incomplete passes ended the threat. The third pass was dropped in the end zone when it appeared the bright sunshine caused the receiver to lose the ball.
The Eagles were able to run out the final 6:03 off the clock with three first downs including a fourth down rush from its own 35 and a 23 yard run by Delviccio Dyess.


PHSBigRedsFootball.com 2018 • Contact Webmaster